Thursday, January 5, 2012

A Small Christmas Gift

He called.

There is no real lesson here (well, there are probably many lessons, just none listed).  It had been more than a month since my son called home. I didn't know where he was. Last I heard from him, he was in Austin, Texas, and it was a week before Thanksgiving. As a matter of fact, it was on Christmas Day when my daughter and I were texting about how I hadn't heard from him when the phone rang. It was a random number (he always calls from random numbers) and we answered it. It was him. I'm emotional as I write this. It's weird because I go weeks between cries, really. It's just the weight of it. It's a mixed feeling, though, because I'm very happy he called and happy he's alive, and yet still so sad he is so far away from us in every way. He's in Asheville, North Carolina, by the way.

We took a family picture at our big family reunion where he wasn't. We thought it would be funny to tag on Facebook a spot in our picture where he should be. Well, not funny, but it was fitting. He should be there an he isn't.





The ache is dull, but it is still an ache. I am grateful for so much. There are truly so many happy things in our lives. I suppose the aches in our lives are for our growth and learning. And that's why I have continued to blog - to share that learning.

Happy New Year, any followers of my blog!





No comments:

Post a Comment