Wednesday, October 12, 2011

I Am All About Family



This is our little family in December 2010. My family means everything to me. It is what I live for, what I work for, what I pray for. It is why I do what I do every day. If I ever have found myself low enough to not care about myself, they are the reason I keep going.


I am in a college class about strengthening families. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and in this class we are studying a document called The Family: A Proclamation to the World. I have received a tremendous amount of comfort in studying the scriptures, as well as praying for inspiration to help me through the tumultuous parts of raising my family. I take comfort in


Proverbs 22:6, "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it." 


I also have read the Savior's parable of the prodigal son in Luke Chapter 15, many, many times.



11 And he said, A certain man had two sons:

 12 And the younger of them said to his father, Father, give me the portion of goods that falleth to me. And he divided unto them his living.

 13 And not many days after the younger son gathered all together, and took his journey into a far country, and there wasted his substance with riotous living.

 14 And when he had spent all, there arose a mighty famine in that land; and he began to be in want.


 17 And when he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father’s have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger!


The parable has a happy ending, in that the Prodigal returns! People who have gone through this have said, "He will only change once he hits bottom." Well, we continue to wait for him to find that bottom. In the words of the parable, I am waiting for him "to come unto himself." When he becomes truly humble, as the son in the parable, he will want something different for himself.


There have been and continue to be many joys in our life as a couple and a family. Through all the sorrows and joys there have been many lessons. I hope you will find some comfort in the lessons  shared on this blog. I invite you to share lessons you've learned, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment